Data Center Technician
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania | Contract
Data Center Technician contract opening (1 year+) with our client in Pittsburgh, PA.
This position reports to the manager responsible for Data Center Infrastructure Operations with an additional reporting line to the Data Center Facilities Team lead.
- Processing cable installation requests, including ensuring requirements are correct such as number and type of connections, port assignments and timing of activity
- Interfacing with server, storage and network teams as needed to gather and validate/clarify cabling requirements
- Quality testing of all patch cables being used
- Supporting troubleshooting issues involving cabling components
- Maintaining sufficient inventory of patch cables as described in our DC Standards document
- Validating/updating all related work instructions for cabling activities
- Participating in the data center oncall rotation which includes; completing daily walk through checklists, incident ticket monitoring, incident resolution monitoring 7x24 for 7 days (current rotation is one week out of every five weeks)
- Secondary responsibility is to be fully cross trained for server installations, de-installations and end of lease processing
- Take ownership of the inventory management processes; Coordinate efforts of inventory specialists
- Coordinates installation/removal of all hardware to/from the data center.
- Shipping and receiving duties: Inspects all received hardware shipments; Identifies missing or damaged components; Reports shipment discrepancies to Purchasing or the Lease Administrator
- 5 – 10 years of telecommunications experience within a Data Center environment
- Working knowledge of copper (UTP, Cat6, Cat6a) and fiber optic media types, (MMF, SMF, 50 micron, 62.5 micron), industry standards and applications, and use cases (e.g., Ethernet, Fibre Channel)
- Significant hands-on experience with the installation of both copper and fiber media types
- Expert working knowledge with cable testing systems to ensure operational integrity (pre/post installation)
- Expert working knowledge of troubleshooting both copper and fiber cable media. (e.g., dB loss, Attenuation, Breaks, Termination Problems, Transmission Characteristics)
- Working knowledge of Fluke test equipment
- Understanding of network layouts, Cisco hardware and layer 1 topologies
- Working knowledge of Data Center Network Hardware (Ethernet, Fibre Channel interfaces)
- Working knowledge of pertinent ISO Standards (ANSI-942, ANSI-568)
- Expert working knowledge with Cable Management Systems (e.g., Cabinet, Aerial, Under Floor).
- Working knowledge of Visio Software
- Excellent customer service skills are a must
BICSI Certification strongly preferred
Understanding of RFID technology in a Data Center environment
Experience in server lease end process
Experience using Hardware/Software Request System
Experience using HP Asset Manager software application