Software Quality Engineer
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania | Direct Hire
Software Quality Engineer
Currently looking to hire a Software Quality Engineer for a role with a client in Pittsburgh, PA.
The Software Quality Engineer performs is responsible for validating mobile device and web-based software applications for clients. This individual will take ownership of projects, review requirements and specifications for clarity, plan the testing approach, design test cases, and supervise execution of testing.
Responsibilities of the Software Quality Engineer
- Write validation plans, traceability matrices, test scripts and validation reports in accordance with application development efforts and pertinent SOPs and Work Instructions.
- Assign and coordinate testing tasks and monitor their efficiency and quality.
- Collaborate with software and data delivery engineers to understand the changes in new software versions and identify the appropriate set of functional and regression tests needed to verify that new features function as designed and do not cause any undesirable behavior.
- Provide software quality feedback to the project team, including the project manager and engineers.
- Recommend quality improvements or changes to development processes, procedures, and systems and software products to correct known or potential deficiencies.
- Provide accurate and timely input into the time reporting system.
- Attend project meetings and manage SQE effort for multiple assigned projects running simultaneously.
- Participate in requirements and design specification reviews.
- Conduct integration, functional and stress tests for database, web-based and handheld applications and hardware.
Requirements of the Software Quality Engineer
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent
- Strong skills in creating test plans, performing testing and maintaining detailed documentation.
- Experience finding, reproducing, logging and verifying software defects.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience working on projects for demanding clients and a commitment to meet tight timelines while helping the team produce high quality software.
- Ability to carefully examine requirements and specifications to anticipate quality issues and provide timely feedback when specifications are incomplete or inaccurate.
- Ability to learn quickly, work in a team environment, and demonstrate a quality attitude.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Highly Desired Skills and Experience
- Testing handheld devices with hardware and software components.
- Testing web-based software applications.
- Testing software for clinical trials or the pharmaceutical industry.
- Software testing experience in a regulated environment (ISO 9001, FDA 21 CFR Part 11).
- Working knowledge of software tools such as a Visual SourceSafe and Rational ClearQuest.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, especially Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Experience with applications that use a relational database back-end such as Microsoft SQL.
- Self-starter with the ability to work with little or no direct supervision, as well as the necessary communication skills to interface directly with the development staff and communicate effectively about project issues.
- Experience providing and seeking peer reviews of test plans to improve quality.